Wednesday, May 9, 2012

SOCIAL IDIOCY

He’s Just Not That Into You .... She’s Just Not That Into You
 SO ... Why Do We Sometimes Act Like Social Idiots?
 After my last night out with friends I had to include this here for all of you to enjoy a laugh not just at me but perhaps with me and others you know. Once again out at the usual club with the not so usual suspects. I woke up this morning in bed alone. I hadn’t gotten “lucky”. Sometimes that happens. Though some nights I just have a good time I actually did find myself last night zeroing in on one particular individual with whom I had previously enjoyed a sort of date, that is, drinks and conversation. I would begin here to describe this fabulous specimen of a man, but I would be too wordy and bore you. I was also reminded by my bff this morning that “beauty is in the eye” and she didn’t think he was all that.
 I could have spent way more time then I did glancing over at him, making eye contact, chatting and even begging the man to dance with me. Yes I did say begging... I do remember saying something to him about the song the band was playing being my favorite, and telling him he must dance with me. He could not say no, and something like,"I’m begging” or “Please don’t make me beg you.” came out of my mouth.
 Ahhh crap! Now THAT is embarrassing to admit!
 Now for a brief history. This man has already demonstrated clearly on two or three separate occasions that he is "JUST NOT THAT INTO ME". As I have said I am a mature woman with my share of experiences. I knew that it was a total waste of time and sheer stupidity to pursue even a one night stand with this hunk of heaven. But in a slightly altered state of mind last night, pursue his ass I did. I did not go so far as to invite him home, but in “begging” him to dance with me.
 OMG! My stomach does flips when I think about it even after twenty four hours. I picture myself from a sort of aerial view watching my self go through this pathetic invitation to simply move to music with this man on the dance floor.
 Do I sound needy,desperate,psycho...? All of the above? Before you judge though, I ask you this. Can you,have you imagined or had a moment when you KNEW you had gone WAY OVERBOARD in your advances of some beautiful person who had absolutely no interest in you and never would? Is it courage or fear that brings us to this place? I am an optimist and a believer in hope and in miracles... so I took the leap.
 I submit to you that all of us who go to clubs “club stalk” people often enough that we find ourselves laying in bed that night wondering “What the hell was I thinking?” Overt flirting, club stalking and other idiotic behavior is common even among those of us who are “mature,” And/or “otherwise successful” and “Independent”. We see something, someone we want and we may either turn into babbling idiots,or needy five year olds.
 Yes, I think even MR.KOOL the man I was pursuing last night, has probably had his moments of rejection. Even the best of us has been politely avoided, or overtly ignored despite our pursuits. Whether it be the sexy bartender, or the one who looks like surfer boy, or the distinguished gentlemen in the corner, or the man sitting at the end of the bar alone, the traps are there and we fall right into them. Sure we all have our own forms that attract us. I have had men drool over my boobs, my ass, my hair, my neck, and even my thick ankles! Now, the fat ankle thing was a real surprise but it IS true.!
 And,you?
 Who have you focused in on... blonde Barbie, or a sultry brunette, plump and sweet or thin and fit ? I know you have been there right where I was last night. Maybe not so far as to have butterflies in your stomach but a definite magnetic attraction to the person in front of you or across the room. Maybe you haven’t even heard their voice but all the other people in that place in that time fade into a fog and it is just the two of you exchanging tentative glances and then it begins. The well thought out strategy or the spontaneous "oh well, what the heck,I’m going for it!“
What is IT?... that chemical reaction that causes this attraction?? You are not quite sure but you very definitely have to go there. What is it that they say in twelve steps meetings.?.. You have a “BURNING DESIRE !?” It is an itch that must be scratched, a treat that must be grasped.
Mine, last night, was a handsome,well educated,polite,intelligent man who has a smile you could die for and skin you want to lick because you imagine deep down...no,you KNOW...it is decadently sweet and hot.
 So on the dance floor, and then later in a good bye conversation when I decided I MUST return to acting somewhat normal because I was getting no where, I gently kissed him on the side of his neck under his ear..(to me the sexiest part of any man’s body), and told him to have a good golf game this morning. You see he had used his early tee time as an excuse to gently blow me off.
 I was not devastated only disappointed. I had been luckier when I was younger and had lived through only a couple of rejections always to move on to someone, something, even more wonderful... So why is it that we act like idiots for the object of our affections? Women or men you have all done it at least once and I would guess a lot more. There are stranger stupid acts that follow break ups, but the club stalking, flirtatious behavior that can get really annoying to someone who isn’t interested in us at all, is a matter to be looked at,studied and since it is just plain human nature laughed at over and over again.
 SO I hope that my Mr.McDreamy last night forgives me,feeds his ego with my compliments to him, and my naivete, if you can call it that, and that all the men who have fallen all over me delight in the thought that I too have made an idiot of myself in front of someone and was, politely this time, sent away alone. It’s all in the game. It is all part of the social scene in the past, now, and probably will be forever and always.
 "He’s Just Not That Into You", isn’t a new concept. We are simply becoming more aware.
You may be a yummy butter pecan and your special McDreamy prefers sumptuous chocolate. It doesn’t make butter pecan any less delicious. It is all a matter of taste after all. Though some of us have less experience with rejection then others, we have all been there. Don’t ask why...Just remember there is another bus coming down the road. You just can’t see it yet.
Magic is moments away.
 Get out there and dance....Life IS Good!

 (copyright April 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment